Pulled BBQ Chicken sandwiches

A friend of mine asked for some resources in finding healthy, slow cooker recipes which inspired me to get mine out for dinner tonight. The boys in this house are BBQ fans so anytime I can use it as a dipping option or marinate something with it, I do.
Today I decided on pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches, using my mom's BBQ sauce recipe. This is an easy alternative to buying store bought sauces, which I do use, but with high fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient, I'd rather make my own when I can. That's not to say that mine doesn't have sugar in it, but I feel a little better knowing what my ingredients actually are.

Mary's BBQ sauce:

2 T liquid smoke
1 C ketchup
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1/4 C vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 C water
1/2 C water
1/2 C brown sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp celery salt

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil on medium heat for approximately 10 minutes, sauce will be thin.

Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 3) in bottom of slow cooker and pour sauce over top. Cook on low 5+ hours. I check on mine throughout the day and shred the chicken after about 4 hours. After I shred, I leave to cook another 2 hours.
Scoop generous amounts on buns, top with sour cream or shredded cheese and enjoy!

This sauce is also great on ribs. In this case, sprinkle ribs with salt, cover with sauce and bake until done.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girl Next Door

KARE 11, Are You Hiring?

Beauty Queen to BoyMom